Bustos Law Firm

Archive for July, 2019|Monthly archive page


In Immigration on July 17, 2019 at 9:42 AM

After a three year wait, the F2A Preference Category for Spouses and Unmarried Children of Permanent Residents is finally current for all countries during the month of July 2019. Accordingly, spouses and minor children (under 21) of Legal Permanent Residents, who are currently in the U.S., and in lawful immigration status, may apply for Adjustment of Status concurrently by filing Form I-130 together with Form I-485. F2A beneficiaries with pending I-130 Petitions may also file Form I-485 when their priority date is current according to the Final Action Dates on the USCIS website.

The long and short of it is that F2A will be “current” for everyone in July, pursuant to the July 2019 Visa Bulletin. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-bulletin/2019/visa-bulletin-for-july-2019.html. Other family-based categories must use the Dates for Filing table.  https://www.uscis.gov/visabulletininfo.

Thus, if you are a green card holder, you should sponsor your spouse and children as soon as you can. Or, if you have already sponsored them, make sure they apply for their green cards immediately. Also, if you’re a legal permanent resident who has been thinking about getting married, this may be an ideal time to move forward with those plans.

It’s important to note, however, that the F2A category receives a higher level of scrutiny compared to the immediate relative category. Accordingly, it’s very important that you properly determine your eligibility to adjust status. An experienced immigration attorney can help assist you with this process.

The F2A category should remain current through September.

Great News for Filipinos!

The Employment-Based 3rd category for Filipinos is also current for the first time in many years.  You can qualify for an EB-3 visa if you’re a skilled worker, an experienced professional, or an unskilled worker whose job isn’t seasonal or temporary. If you fall under one of these categories, and have been sponsored by a U.S. employer, you can file your I-485 Application to Adjust Status this month.

Also, if you’re in the U.S. on a temporary work visa, and your employer has filed an I-140 visa petition for you, you should file your I-485 application for adjustment of status this month.  However, if you’re outside the U.S., you should have your employer file your I-140 via USCIS’s premium processing option in order to expedite your application. Once it gets approved, you should send your paperwork to the National Visa Center as soon as possible in order to expedite your green card interview.